Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Review - Stonehoney and Craig Thompson Plus Peter Lamb & The Wolves

Last night I caught two great shows. Craig Thompson of "Old Habits" did a solo act prior to Austin based Stonehoney... Craig was absolutely amazing on guitar and vocals. He has a stage presence with the talent to back it up. A great quick set for him that was truly amazing.... It was my first time seeing Stonehoney and so I was wondering what I was in for... After a slow start, the band round it's groove and treated us to a powerful set of originals and old Texas hits. These 5 guys - 4 guitarists and a drumer can belt it out in a variety of levels as each one of the guitarists will take over lead vocals depending on song... Their Alt Country Roots Rock sound has a twang of pop dashed in for good effect and you know what? It works.... Very very impressive set and I look forward to having these guys back in Raleigh soon....

The 2nd concert of the night was Peter Lamb & The Wolves... What more can I say about these guys - they are the standard bearer of the Raleigh Traditional Jazz scene... I also must say that Peter is very creative with getting different local musicians involved to come and sit in with the band - giving them a different feel each time... Brilliant and a great bi-monthly gig for them, us the regulars and Raleigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment